Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Mommy Mode: J.Cole on Tavis Smiley




I am the Mother of a 9 year old son. He is amazing, talented, and truly a gift in my life. His name is Jhalen (prounounced J-len). As a mother I always have lots of concerns such as am I raising him right, showing him how to be a gentleman and I am on the right path when it comes to his education.

As we all know, knowledge can never be taken away from you. That is a gift you will always have and it can take you places that you have never imagined.

My son loves to read, he loves school but he also is a typical child who gets frustrated with Math, who likes to sometimes talk and play when that is not the lesson at the moment. He attends a school known for excellence and they will do what it takes to make sure that your child excels and works very hard. One thing that is so different from when I attended school is the way that lessons are being taught, it is called common core. The way that my son learns to break down his math equations is totally different from back in my day. Now, imagine trying to be the wing and tutor at home when math isn't your best subject either.....

I'll wait...... LOL!

Also, as a teacher I have seen that students learn subjects in different ways. They may grasp it by visual learning, or maybe by being hands on. But, have you ever realized that sometimes when doing work, you may not be retaining the information but you have mastered how to pass the tests and lessons to get to the next level?

This is what J.Cole spoke of in his latest sit down interview with Tavis Smiley. He graduated Magna Cum Laude from St. Johns University, which is not always common for everyday rappers that we listen to on the radio. But, one thing is that J.Cole always knew he was going to go to college; in 1st grade he would always ask his teacher what his grades were, when they were only stamping Satisfactory and so forth on papers.

One thing, that stuck out to me is that he said he mastered how to take tests, you know cramming the night before and then going into class and blowing it out of the water. But, he felt as if he did not retain a lot of information as a student.

click to SEE THE INTERVIEW HERE...

It was an AHA moment for me. Why? Because I am so hard on my son when he does not do great on a test, and I am so hard on myself when it happens as well. I'm all discombobulated and upset, and asking myself where have I failed at because he didn't get the A+. We, as parents and just as individuals have to learn that ONE BAD or ONE GOOD TEST does not DEFINE how SMART we are, it does not make us DUMBFOUNDED, and it is just material that coincides with the lesson that is being taught. What it can do is help us learn more, or help us in areas where we may need to study.

LET ME KNOW YOUR FULL THOUGHTS about this perception and his interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...