Friday, February 28, 2014

Let's Talk: School & Reality


Education/ Real Life/ Careers/ Dreams


*Does Shimmy down the hallway at work* It's Friday everyone, the weekend has arrived. So this week I have been extra hard on myself and it has weighed me down so much. I have over thought and evaluated every aspect of my life and it has made me feel powerless at times. Remember I'm human, no sugar coating on here. Everyone has a purpose in life, we are here to fulfill that destiny and I think sometimes people don't realize in the end it's not about you and anyone else but the person who placed you here.

So let's talk about Education and Reality. Everyone knows that no one can ever take your knowledge away from you which is a very powerful thing to have these days. Taking time to learn everything that you can whether it is in a school setting or not equips you for everyday living whether good or bad. You remember the excitement you had when you were about to graduate high school and go on to your on my own college days. Swimming suit shopping and gearing up for beach week and just so happy that you wouldn't have to grace those doors of your high school any longer. But what you didn't expect was that this is where real life really kicked in, this was the beginning of your mold to what ever was in store for you in the upcoming years.

Think about many forms that you fill out it and it always asks you what were your parents highest education level. Have you ever wondered why did they want to know about your parent's education when now it was about your education and what was in front of you. Did you think that they were basing you off of how far your parents went? But in reality whether your parents or you completed a bachelors or doctorates, never finished elementary or even seen the cafeteria of a high school you both could still be very intellectual and very successful in life.

You know one thing I wish I could have really taken grasp on in my younger years? It is to take advantage of the free education that is given to you because college is in no way inexpensive and you would be in total debt unless you are riding on a full scholarship. See I've tried college online and community college etc., but I have placed myself in debt and have yet to finish my degree. I know in my heart that I want to be a psychiatrist and I can't see myself doing anything else unless I mean I can get a gig in fashion or beauty. But Psychiatry sparks my attention, it is the ying to my yang. I can see my name on that door Dr. *****. Helping others become the best that they can be in life, it has always intrigued me in understanding what makes a person go crazy, what triggers their mental into such states and mental health really get's swept under the rug more times than often.

So with that being said, since my loans have literally kicked my ass and I've made an agreement with Sallie Mae just not too long ago, I can't figure out what to do about school. But I've figured out that this blog is a way of uplifting and inspiring others, helping women like me, showing the unmasked side, and just giving and accepting advice can be my career and goal without the paper and signed initials for now. Being in the humanitarian field and philanthropy is something I crave and I hope to one day achieve.

We see individuals everyday without degrees who are on Forbes, who are running successful businesses on social networks, and who are making a difference in lives all over the world.

So my question is do you think one should always obtain that paper to really work in their dream job? Leave your comments below and let us know.

Who inspires you? I enjoy reading Rob Hill Sr quotes and he inspires me. Kenny Burns is another well rounded man whom inspires and encourages. Myleik of Curlbox is such the business and empowerment god mother. And many others I'm inspired by whom I don't even have to mention it's obvious such as my mother and father who have grounded me and made me into the woman that I am, my loves and my son, my friends and others whom I just see go after what they want in life.

Lipstick & Love, XOXO

images via Google


2 comments:

  1. I love this Erica! I am in almost the exact situation as you.. I have loan debt, and bills with about 3 different schools- While all of my friends graduated with degree as high as doctorates... My parents never obtained college degrees, and I think that it does have a direct influence on me. I was never pushed in school and was not forced to go to college after highschool- But I have now realized in order to excel in my current passion, I do need that signed little piece of paper. But I agree that in no way does it validate your "smartness." In fact. I know people who have degrees that know nothing about subjects you would think they should be experts in, including common sense lol! It all boils to competition and if the next person has a degree when you don't they are more likely to choose that person for the part- But in reality, it may not be the best decision. Thats just the way the cookie crumbles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, both of my parents never obtained college degrees either and I was not pushed to excel in education although I enjoyed reading and school for the most part. It has influenced me to want to be the first in my immediate family to obtain a degree and it takes so much more than just signing up and attending classes. I hope that in the near future I can go back to school and pick up where I left off at. I understand what you mean with individuals who have a degree and still seem more dumbfounded at times in their own major. When applying for jobs whether just another step in your current career or your dreams, that piece of paper catapults and individualize one from another. We can do it, just have to have faith and take that first step!

    ReplyDelete

Pageviews

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...